Sunday, March 05, 2006

Laundry






















11:37 pm

The thick, muggy air draws a sheen from my face
as I retrieve four quarters from my pocket.
No A.C.
The coins rest snug in their slots,
awaiting the jaws of the
appliance.
Pressing firmly to deliver them,
my thumbnail appears white.
I close the cover and listen to the water
drooling in.
Lifting the lid and sprinkling in one scoop
smelling like a lemon pixie stick
(carefully avoiding suspicious hairs
collecting around the mouth)
I reach my arm in to stir the
froth.
(no lumpy detergent in this washer)
I feed in my laundry, and it
gulps
with a bang of the lid.


12:11 pm

Time to peel the clothes from the
lining
of the washer.
They must be separated into
two dryers.
*THREE PIECE LIMIT FOR CLOTH COMPLETELY DRY*
Launching
another dollar into each contraption,
I press HIGH HEAT.
The machines rumble and shake.
I begin my countdown.


12:56am

Everything is still.
The garments remain only slightly
damp.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

you know, you don't have to keep reminding yourself how much you hated ringgold towers. our washer/dryer works wonderfully here. i just wish you would stop sliding quarters under the machines; you don't have to pay anymore.