I wanted my students to encounter more artists, but I also wanted those encounters to feel meaningful. Over the years, I’ve tried several ways to make that happen. I regularly introduce artists through our projects, but I also want students to discover new artists on their own.
For a while, I used an “Artist of the Week” format. Each student added a new artist to a shared slide deck every week and gave one sentence explaining their choice. In practice, this often led to rushed decisions and presentations that felt like something we simply had to get through.
This year, I redesigned the routine. Each student chooses one artist for the entire semester, completes two focused slides, and gives a 2–3 minute presentation. With only two students presenting each week, we have time to look closely, hear why the artist matters to the presenter, and consider one artistic idea we might borrow for our own work. Because students choose only once, their decision feels more intentional and meaningful.
I turned the full routine into an editable resource with student slide templates, a model presentation, teacher directions, a sign-up schedule, Canvas/LMS assignments, and rubrics. If you would like to try Artist Spotlight in your own classroom, you can find it here:
VIEW THE ARTIST SPOTLIGHT RESOURCE

No comments:
Post a Comment